It also ensures a truly crisp batter with a soft inside. This would only work with seafood, as they take less time to cook. And prawns are incredibly delicious battered, as they have a slightly firmer texture and a distinct seafood taste.. combined with this delicious crunchy batter and this beautifully home made Tomato and Chilli Relish.. this is the ultimate fried food indulgence!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 x 375ml btl Coopers Original Pale Ale
- Olive oil or peanut oil, to deep-fry
- 1kg green prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
- Baby rocket leaves, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
Tomato and Chilli Relish
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 long fresh red chillies, finely chopped
- 60ml (1/4 cup) red wine
- 1 x 410g can diced tomatoes
- 45g (1/4 cup, lightly packed) brown sugar
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Gradually add the ale, whisking constantly until a smooth batter forms.
- To make the chilli & tomato relish, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and chilli and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes or until the wine reduces slightly. Add the tomato, sugar and vinegar. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Set aside to cool.
- Add enough oil to a large heavy-based saucepan or wok to reach a depth of 5cm. Heat to 180°C over high heat (when the oil is ready a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 15 seconds).
- Holding the prawns by their tails, dip 4 prawns, 1 at a time, into the batter to coat. Add to the oil and cook for 2 minutes or until golden. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a tray lined with paper towel. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with the remaining prawns and batter, reheating the oil between batches.
- Transfer the prawns to a serving platter and arrange with rocket. Serve with the chilli and tomato relish and lemon wedges.
- You can prepare to the end of step 2 up to 1 day ahead. Cover the batter with plastic wrap and store in the fridge. Store the relish in an airtight container in the fridge. Continue from step 3, 15 minutes before serving.
- Store any leftover tomato and chilli relish in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. Use as a sandwich spread.
P/S: Sorry for these shockingly bright photos.. I didn’t know what to do with my camera!! It just WON’T take a good pic, I had a bit of a noob moment lol.