Hello everyone! As you may know, this is my 2nd week of doing this whole “No Carb Diet” thing. Surprisingly, it’s not that hard! Well, I’ve never been a big bread eater anyway… so basically I just had to significantly cut down on potatoes, rice, pasta and noodles. I’m allowed once a week, need to have a little bit of carb to provide the energy needed for exercise – which I do 3-4 times a week. So far, I have lost 1kg. It’s not that bad.. considering I’m probably also gaining muscle weight from the exercise. It’s going really good 🙂
So what do people eat when on a “No Carb Diet”? Basically in a nut shell, I’ve been eating:
- Egg Omelettes (see recipe below)
- Roast / Steamed Chicken … chicken stirfries … basically LOTS of chicken (or pork)
- Steamed Fish / Panfried or Grilled Salmon
- Grilled Red Meat (eg Lamb Cutlets) or Steaks
- A LOT of steamed / stirfried vegetables
- Fruit, especially bananas (“carb” in bananas are good carbs helps with the energy)
- Sashimi (yes, raw fish)
- Other seafood – prawns, scallops, oysters, crabsticks, etc.
- Tofu (not a big fan of tofu but LOVE egg tofu w/ minced pork, which reminds me I need to cook that, might share recipe soon!)
So you see, there’s lots of options. Just don’t need to think about all the food you’re missing out on eg:
- Pasta dishes
- Noodle dishes
- Potatoes – mashed potatoes, hot chips.
- Toasted sandwiches…..
Ohh wait, I said we SHOULDN’T think about all the food you’re missing out on! *wink*
4 “Lap Chiong” aka Chinese Sausages, thinly sliced at 45 degree angle
1 red capsicum, sliced
1 green capsicum, sliced
1 large onion, sliced into rings
9 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup cream
Salt and pepper to taste
5 cup mushrooms, sliced (optional)
Fresh coriander leaves to serve
In a wok, heat 1 tsp of peanut oil and cook the sliced chinese sausages for a few minutes.
Add onions, and capsicums, and stirfry for a few more minutes until the onions start to become tender.
In a bowl, beat the eggs with cream and season with salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture into the wok and let it sit there and cook for approx. 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low medium so it doesn’t burn the bottom of the egg surface.
Try your best to completely flip over the egg, if not, don’t stress. Just keep trying to flip the egg every 1 minute interval to ensure it doesn’t get completely scrambled and some parts of the omelette is firm and keeps the sausages, onions and capsicum together.
Serve hot. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.