Just had a pretty big weekend. I had a party at my place on Friday night, it was a big night. I didn’t have to do anything or go anywhere on Saturday, so I cooked a simple laksa for myself which turned out absolutely delicious! I guess I’ll blog about it considering I haven’t really been blogging much.
This is indeed a really simple laksa recipe anyone can make at home. It’s not as authentic as a Penang Laksa or a Sarawak Laksa, but this is good laksa and still a nice, comforting dish for a cold night.. and Melbourne was VERY cold.
The ingredients are:
- 1 jar Valcom Laksa Paste
- 300ml light coconut milk
- 100ml water
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 120g large prawns, peeled and tail on.
- 3 large cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for frying egg
- Vermicelli noodles / mee hoon / thin rice noodles
- Bean shoots
- Fresh coriander to serve
- In a frying pan, heat 2 tbsp oil. Beat eggs together in a bowl with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the egg mixture into the frying pan and flip both sides until cooked. Place egg omelette onto a chopping board and slice to form egg strips. Set aside egg strips.
- In a pot, heat laksa paste with water. Add coconut milk and chilli powder. Cook until soup just boiling. Add prawns and mushrooms. Cook until fully boiling and prawns turn pink and mushrooms have softened and darkened in color. This is your laksa broth / soup.
- In a serving bowl, place a desired amount of vermicelli noodles in the bowl and pour hot water into the bowl to soften the noodles. After 2 minutes, strain the water, leaving softened vermicelli noodles still sitting in the bowl. Add fresh bean shoots on top of the noodles. Pour freshly cooked (still hot) laksa soup / broth on top of the noodles and bean shoots, with some prawns and mushrooms sitting on top. Garnish with egg strips. Garnish with fresh coriander. Serve hot.
So anyway, back to my story. So I had a lovely laksa meal for dinner on Saturday, despite just cooking for one because hubby is away for work.
The next day, after church I went to Krispy Kreme to pick up the donuts I’ve ordered online a few days ago. There was a Father’s Day Special whereby you purchase a dozen Chocolate Celebrations Donuts and get a dozen Original Glazed donuts for FREE. Pretty good deal if you ask me…
So this was for afternoon tea. The family came over with more food. We had brownies, slices, chips, and dips, and cheese, and sausage rolls, and spring rolls.. and we just had a lot of food…
Which was kinda silly because just shortly after, it was time to go out to Costello’s in Berwick for dinner!
I ordered the Lamb Shanks. The gravy looks a bit sussed and thick, probably not the best gravy I’ve ever had… but the lamb shank was tender as you would expect it to be.. so I wasn’t disappointed.
My father in law though, had the Smoked Salmon & Avocado Salad which looked really good… I might go back to the restaurant another day and try the salad. Or maybe I’ll just make it. Yeah, ok. I will someday make a Smoked Salmon and Avocado Salad.. looks fairly easy to replicate, lol.
So that was my weekend. I really enjoyed myself, it was really good to catch up with friends on Friday night and then with family on Sunday. Missing my husband but I know he misses us even more, and good thing is he will be home tomorrow night yayyy 🙂
Life is good but also very busy – and I will try my best to blog a lot more ok.